28/08/2017 - 11/09/2017 (Week 1-Week 3)
Liam Yue Wei (0327686)
2D Animation
Project 1-Stop Motion Animation
Instructions
P1 Limited Animation/Stop Motion Animatics (15%)
Due Week 3
AP Staging / Timing / Anticipation / Straight ahead action and pose to pose
REF Coldplay Strawberry Swing. Nokia Gulp / Assassins Creed Paper Animation /
Progress
Week 1 - Brainstorming and make storyboards
This project is a 2-man group assignment, and I have paired up with Char Hui Li (xxxxx). Together. we did a lot of brainstorming and we ended up choosing an astronaut story.
Initially, our story for astronaut :
An astronaut is getting drunk in the space, he starts acting funny due to the drunk and he even starts seeing hallucination, a fantasy world of his own. He sees ice cream, candies, bubbles and a lot of other things, even rainbow. He starts hopping, dancing and spinning around in the space and pokes one of the bubbles. But, the bubble turns out to be a star, the 'pop' sound was produced in a fleeting second which we all believe it was the bubble that pops. However, the object that 'pop'-ed was not the bubble but the astronaut's suit, causing his fall. The End.
First storyboard :
Week 2 - Finalizing storyboards and start having the frames ready to show.
After having our storyboards and storyline showed to Mr.Hafiz, we were to fix whatever we need to and start working on the frames. There are plenty of ways to do a stop motion video, and since Mr.Hafiz specifically mentioned that we have to mix real life and drawings together, Hui Li and I thought of the best way to do it within the limited time.
Finalized Storyboard :
 |
| Finalized storyboard - 1st page |
 |
| Finalized storyboard - 2nd page |
 |
| Sketching tiny astronaut |
Week 3 - Editing and making the animation in softwares.
When we have done taking pictures of our scenes, we can start editing our works digitally and then make them into an animation. Hui Li and I cropped the scene out from the pictures first before doing the animation in Adobe Photoshop. We decided to fix wherever we feel dissatisfied.
 |
| Final Animation. |
Feedback
After submitting out first storyboard on Tuesday (05/09/2017), I was told that the story is okay but be careful of the aspect ratio as I drew the frames to squares instead of rectangular. I was also told to pay attention to my composition.
Reflection
Experience
This is the first assignment of semester 2, and it is rather challenging to cope up with the close deadline. Having to finish an assignment within 2 weeks with a public holiday affecting our class was indeed new to all of us. This proved that we need to be more efficient in working with time. I had small frustration when I suddenly had a better idea for the storyline and method of making this animation on the day before I have to take pictures for the animation.
Observation
One of the reasons why I felt a little hard to do things fast may be the effect of being relaxed during the holiday, my body may be more used to being so free on our days that I started doing things slow. Besides, it also makes it hard for me to come up with more ideas during the planning, it might because of the small amount of references I could find on Internet for this assignment.
Findings
I believe that one of the best ways to catch up with the need to finish all the works now is to focus on doing work and avoid distractions. Depending on the situation, I might consider to do another stop motion video, just because we believe that the sudden inspiration I suddenly had before the deadline can be a good animation.
Comments
Post a Comment