18/09/2017 - 25/09/2017 (Week 4 - Week 5)
Liam Yue Wei (0327686)
2D Animation
Metamorphosis
Lecture
Week 4
During the lecture, Mr.Hafiz has shown the way of using onion skin in Adobe Animate CC, he has also talked to us about the amount of drawings may differ in the animation, so that it actually influenced the speed. Also, sometimes we need to include squash and stretch in our drawing to make the object look more lively in the animation. Also, we have seen how an object changed into another object with about 10 - 12 frames.
To create a loop in Adobe Animate CC using keyframes, we can use ctrl+A to move the drawings/objects around. copy and paste the frames in another layer (at the frames after the first layer of keyframes) , select the frames on new layers, right-click to reverse frames.
Anticipation - Anticipation is used to prepare the audience for an action, and to make the action appear more realistic
Secondary Action - Adding secondary actions to the main action gives a scene more life, and can help to support the main action. (Eg: hair, scarf, arms and etc.)
Week 5
During the lecture, Mr.Hafiz has covered more principles of animation such as Anticipation and Secondary Action. But before that, he mentioned Shot On Threes. "Often TV shows are "shot on threes": every cel is held for three frames instead of one (i.e. the number of cels is cut in three). A show shot on threes would have 8fps animation, in effect. Depending of how much motion is in the scene, a show shot on threes really isn't all that noticably different from a show shot with full motion, and so is useful as a budget move.". This can be done by adding keyframes (f5) in Adobe Animate CC after a frame of drawing, so that the scene stays longer. An animation can be smooth as long as the timing and the positions of the drawings are done right.
To create a loop in Adobe Animate CC using keyframes, we can use ctrl+A to move the drawings/objects around. copy and paste the frames in another layer (at the frames after the first layer of keyframes) , select the frames on new layers, right-click to reverse frames.
Anticipation - Anticipation is used to prepare the audience for an action, and to make the action appear more realistic
Secondary Action - Adding secondary actions to the main action gives a scene more life, and can help to support the main action. (Eg: hair, scarf, arms and etc.)
Instruction
P2 Metamorphosis (15%)
Due Week 6
AP Squash and Stretch / Slow in and Slow Out / Solid Drawing
REF Cartoon Network Summer 2013. Yoshiro Metamorphosis. Jettison by Adrian Rose. Microsoft Windows 95 by Bill Plympton. Sonambulo
Tutorial
Week 4
We were told to bring an object with interesting shape, I brought a handmade creature, it looks like a cute penguin hybrid creature. Mr.Hafiz then told us to draw our object changing into another person's object in Adobe Animate CC. For my case, I have to draw my creature transforming into Bop's crystal object. We started this exercise by sketching our object and also, doing a rough sketch of the animation.
Sketching :
![]() |
| My object |
![]() |
| Sketches (3D) |
![]() |
| More sketches (3D) |
![]() |
| Sketches of my object and Bop's object |
![]() |
| 12 frames for animation |
Animation:
After using 12 frames in Adobe Animate CC to do the animation, I posted it on Google+ to wait for feedback from Mr.Hafiz. I tried making the front part slower when it jumps, then I made drew less at the part of the penguin jumping and spinning in the air. I was wondering what color to put for the hourglass since it is semi-transparent, but I decided to go for something simple and clear enough so that it doesn't look complicated or unpleasant.
Fixing :
I was told to fix my animation to make it consist of more arcs. So this is what I did within an hour, I do think that the line qualities looks better in this one as compared to the previous one. I prefer the way it looks without colors too.
![]() |
| Penguin turning into hourglass |
Week 5
Fixing :I was told to fix my animation to make it consist of more arcs. So this is what I did within an hour, I do think that the line qualities looks better in this one as compared to the previous one. I prefer the way it looks without colors too.
Feedback
"Hey!! Anticipation
orig00.deviantart.net"
Cool but arc could be better at the part where the penguin jumps. Can adjust that later on/ next time.
orig00.deviantart.net"
Cool but arc could be better at the part where the penguin jumps. Can adjust that later on/ next time.
Reflection
Week 4
Experience
While I was working on the animation, I have realized that the drawing part was a challenge to me, as I am not used to drawing digitally. If there was an easier way for me to apply all those colors, I would definitely go look for it.
Observation
Sometimes, when I was drawing in Adobe Animate CC, I realized that I tend to have shaky hands. I guess I need to get used to digital drawing as soon as possible, as it can come in handy in this course.
Findings
In order to be good at animating, I believe that one needs to do a lot of practices and experiments. Since that there are things that we can't learn or get it right till try it.
I actually enjoyed doing this animation this time, not sure if I was motivated to finish most of my tasks during the weekends or so. But the only problem I faced during the animation this time is some technically, weird things happening. It was not a big deal so I managed to fix it.
I realized that sometimes even with all the plannings and sketching, we eventually need to fix here and there during the real deal. So, it's best not to spend too much time on planning, even though I didn't. But the hint here is to "just do it".
Week 5
Experience
I actually enjoyed doing this animation this time, not sure if I was motivated to finish most of my tasks during the weekends or so. But the only problem I faced during the animation this time is some technically, weird things happening. It was not a big deal so I managed to fix it.
Observation
I realized that sometimes even with all the plannings and sketching, we eventually need to fix here and there during the real deal. So, it's best not to spend too much time on planning, even though I didn't. But the hint here is to "just do it".
Findings
I figured that to do an animation, drawing skills is best to master so that it will save us a lot of time when we draw. Otherwise, we may need to erase, redraw, and redraw over and over again, just to meet our satisfaction. Therefore, I'd better start practicing my sketching like the old days.







Comments
Post a Comment