Skip to main content

2D Animation Final Project + Showreel

2/11/2017- 15/12/2017 (Week 9 - Week 14)
Liam Yue Wei
2D Animation
Final Project Animated to Music


Lecture

-No lecture given-


Instructions

P1 Limited Animation/Stop Motion Animatics (15%)
Due Week 3


AP Staging / Timing / Anticipation / Straight ahead action and pose to pose


REF Coldplay Strawberry Swing. Nokia Gulp / Assassins Creed Paper Animation /


P2 Metamorphosis (15%)
Due Week 6


AP Squash and Stretch / Slow in and Slow Out / Solid Drawing


REF Cartoon Network Summer 2013. Yoshiro Metamorphosis. Jettison by Adrian Rose. Microsoft Windows 95 by Bill Plympton. Sonambulo


P3 Walk Cycle and Lip Sync (15%)



Walk Cycle
Due Week 8


AP Follow through and overlapping action / Arcs
REF Side Walk. Continuum of Thought.


Lip Sync
Due Week 10


AP Exaggeration / Appeal


AP Appeal / Squash and Stretch
REF Gorrilla.



Summative (Individual) 40%
Due Week 14


FINAL Animated to Music 15 Second Loop




Pre Production (20%)
Week 10 - Week 12
Concept Boards
Storyboards


Production  (20%)
Week 13 - Week 14
Animatics
Final Animation



REF Glen Keannes Duet / Ryan Woodwards Thought of You / Bear Loop
Animated Music Collection



Tutorial

Week 9

I have chosen a song, which is a remix "OMFG - Ice Cream".
Pinterest mood board :  2D Animation Style Reference

I have also sketched a rough idea of what will be happening in the animation for the song.

Week 10

After doing more researches on Pinterest and adding more visual researches into my mood board, I have shared the link to Google+. Besides, I also did a new storyboard, I changed the story I tell through my animation and how I am going to display it. After that, I have also done a rough animatic storyboard in Adobe Illustrator, with 2 completed frames inside. I decided to make the animation focused more on ice cream. So the animation most probably will be shapes jumping around and doing different kinds of movements.

Week 11

In week 11, I started finalizing my storyboard and I started doing more animatics in Adobe Animate CC. After that, I also tried fixing some parts of my animation to make things look more interesting, such as making the shapes into triangle, circle and square instead of just circles. I also started trimming the song I chose, 'OMFG - Ice cream' from 3 minutes long to roughly 1 minute long. I cut the song using Audacity, then I exported the edited song as MP3 and imported the file into Adobe Animate CC. 

Week 12

I started sketching more in Adobe Animate CC to find out the right timing for the animation and the song. I also tried changing some of the ideas so that it makes the animation matched with the song. As I do the sketches in Adobe Animate CC, I remind myself not to neglect the 12 principles of animation, especially the squash and stretch. Besides, I also need to make the 12 principles of animation to match my song and animation. 

Week 13

Since the song is still too long after the cut, I tried cutting it down even more. From 1660 frames in Adobe Animate CC to about 900+ frames. It still feels kind of long if I look at the frames, but if I pay close attention to the song, it might become weird if I try to trim it again, so I decided to leave it that way.


Week 14

I added the faces to each characters, and I also added some shadows. Then, I worked on the middle of the animation where the fish was wiggling its tail. I then animated the ending of the animation, I tried not to use too many frames as I find it a bit unnecessary. Last but not least, I added some credits at the end of the animation.


Week 15

Final Submission

Youtube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI-1ewES2NQ



Showreel : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x



Google drive : https://drive.google.com/open?id=


Feedback

Week 10

After consulting Mr.Hafiz, it turns out that the music I have chosen is okay, and fun. So, I can make the animation faster and more fun. Since, the base storyboard of the animation is okay too (A boy falling asleep in the class and the dreaaaaam worrrrrld). What he wants to see next week is fixed storyboard, more reference, and rough animatics with 2 completed keyframes.


Week 11

Mr. Hafiz has told me that instead of making most of the shapes circles (3 of them), I can try making one of them to be square, one of them to be circle and one of them to be triangle. So, just like in my storyboard, all these 3 shapes can merge into an ice cream, then the video can show all sorts of ice creams, but all has the shapes of square, circle and triangle. The ending of my video is good, as it can make the whole thing loop continuously.

Week 12

-No feedback given-

Week 13

Mr Hafiz said to add eyes to the shapes, add some details to them such as glasses, hands and more. Also, for the first part of the animation, I can make the guy's eyes move a bit, blink a bit to show that he feels bored from the class. Or, If I want to animate him sleeping, I can animate the mouth to show that he is breathing. Mr Hafiz said I should try adding shadows to the animation so that it looks better. Last but not least, the song is too long, so I have to cut it shorter.

Week 14 

Nice faces, got squash and stretch principle. Can make the animation shorter again, because it's still too long.


Reflection

Experience

This project is very interesting as I get to choose which song I want to use and develop ideas freely for the animation. Although that being said, sometimes I find it hard as I had to keep on cutting the song down, the looping part in Animate CC may seem easy but the keyframes were messy and it was a bit hard to find the starting point and the end point. 

Observations

From the process of me constantly cutting down my song due to the lecturer's feedback, I have learned that quality is better than quantity. But I think I should be careful especially when I have the ideas of trying not to cut too much of the song. I also discovered that using brush pen in the Animate CC with pressure (on tablet) is very fun and it is completely fine to mix art styles together as long as it is not making the whole thing confusing. 

Findings

Work smart, not work hard. I kept having this thought when I did the project, but still I think I should stop worrying too much about every single details especially when the time is running out. I noticed that it's very hard to avoid or reduce my perfectionism but I will take my time to stop overthinking. Peace out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Compositing and Special Effects - Lectures and Tutorials

26/03/2018 - 30/03/2018 (Week 1) Liam Yue Wei (0327686) Compositing and Special Effects Introduction to Compositing and Special Effect Lecture Week 1  26/03/2018 (Monday)  Mr.Kannan and Mr.Martin started off by briefing us on the module assignments.  Project 1: Opening title sequence  Settings for Adobe After Effects  - 30 secs 1080p full HD - H2. 64, MPEG - Audio: 44.100kHz Stereo - QuickTime H2.64 In compositing and special effects, there are few things to pay attention to: 1. images 2. color sceheme 3. music 4. 3D modeling (free from web, but have to give credits)  Project 2: Matte Painting - The initial stage of the projects is to make thumbnails and storyboards, these need to be simple, nice and believable.  - We were told that to it is hard to master matte painting and it needs a lot of time.  Final project: Motion Graphic - We have to look for music with nice beats.  - Tons of exper...

Week 12-Week 13

20 June 2017 - 4 July2017 (Week 12 - Week 13) Liam Yue Wei (0327686) Typography & Hypertextuality Final Project : Kinetic Typography Lecture Week 12 (No lecture was conducted) Week 13 (No lecture was conducted) Instruction Final Project & Portfolio 40%  The Brief  Kinetic Typography Duration of Assignment  3 Weeks (Briefing on Week 10) DEADLINE  Week 13 (27 Jun 2017) Description  In this Final Project you may use the font you designed in the previous project and give voice to it. You will be required to choose a statement / poem / quote / dialog / etc. that is suitable to the character and personality of your font. You will design a static and animated Poster. “Kinetic typography—the technical name for "moving text"—is an animation technique mixing motion and text to express ideas using video animation. This text is presented over time in a manner intended to convey or evoke a particular idea or emotion.” (http...

Web Design & New Media - Final Project

31/10/2017 (Week 9) Liam Yue Wei (0327686) Web Design & New Media Final Project Lecture -No lecture- Instruction You’re required to create an interactive storytelling Website that to inform a specific target audience on a given topic. The target audience is for children between 6-12 years old. You may use images and video from the internet or you can illustrate to make the content even more interesting. Below are the content that you need to include in the Website. You need to create a storyboard/site structure so that it is easier for you to plan the page and the flow of the Website. You may include sounds or use Adobe Animate to have a whole new experience of interactive Website. What to do in a fire (This will be the title of the Website) Introduction Fire drills are a big part of being safe in school: They prepare you for what you need to do in case of a fire. But what if there was a fire where you live? Would you know what to do? Talking about fires can...